Governors Statement John Ray Infants September 2019
Our governing body is the key strategic decision-making body of the school and we set the school’s strategic framework from which all staff follow.
We agree the priorities, aims and objectives for the school and sign off the policies, plans and targets in order to achieve them.
We check on progress and regularly review the strategic framework for the school in light of that progress. The governors do not get involved in the day to day running of the school but support the headteacher’s leadership whilst making her accountable for the performance of the children and staff.
We have a strategic role to promote high standards of educational achievement, ensuring that adequate plans are made and legal obligations are met.
· Promote and maintain high standards of educational attainment
· Agree the school development plan
· Set an annual budget detailing planned spending
· Approve a staffing structure
· Ensure the safeguarding and health and safety of children and staff
· Deal with complaints against the school
· Support the setting of standards for pupils’ behaviour and discipline
· Make sure the buildings are welcoming and safe
· Ratify, adopt, monitor and review statutory and school’s internal policies
· Ratify policies formed on the school’s curriculum and collective worship
· To ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
· To hold the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
· To oversee the financial performance of the school and make sure its money is well spent
Core features of effective governance:
· Commitment to ongoing development and to getting to know the school well, including effective induction
· Commitment to playing an active part whilst working as part of a team
· Ability to provide robust challenge and hold school leaders to account whilst listening to and respecting the views of others
· Focus on a strategic role rather than involvement in operational matters
If you need to contact our chair person please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
I taught in Infant and Primary schools in Essex for nearly 40 years including 11 years as a headteacher. I live close to the school and see it as very much a part of our local community so it is a privilege to be able to support the school in this role. I am a member of a local church. I love playing tennis and badminton and also spend time learning the saxophone as well as regularly looking after my grandson.
Welcome to John Ray Infants. I have been headteacher at John Ray since September 2016 and I absolutely love my role here both as a governor and senior leader. I have been teaching since 1993 and have taught in a wide range of schools including a tiny village school and a large primary. My heart definitely lies with Infant age children though! I have been a governor at a number of schools, including my current role on the local governing body at Moulsham High School where my own children are studying for GCSE and A’levels. I love animals and have chickens, cats and rats at home to ensure that I am always busy. I am also a very keen runner, having run more than 20 marathons.
My name is Andrew Chan. I joined the John Ray Infants governing body in 2015 as a parent governor when my son was a pupil here. I wanted to volunteer my time and experience to help benefit the local community. I am an educationalist and have taught for over 18 years in secondary schools in and around Essex as well as in Nottinghamshire. I am now a co-opted governor with a responsibility to Early Years Foundation Stage as well as chair of Personnel and Pay Committee. I am looking forward to working with all stakeholders of the school to make sure that we improve the life outcomes of all pupils who attend John Ray Infants School.
My name is Stuart Hammond. I am the Chair of Resources, Co-Opted. I joined the governing body in 2014 as a parent governor following my eldest son starting John Ray Infants. I went to the Infants, Juniors and Notley High as a child and my parents were involved in both the Infant and Junior schools. Both of my sons have now passed through the Infants into the Juniors and I am now a co-opted governor. I have had the opportunity to work in both retail and IT industries, now specialising in Payroll, HR and Workforce systems. As part of the governing body I have held the position of Chair of the former Pupil Matters committee and currently sit on Resources and Head teacher Performance sub committees. I am also subject governor for Maths and ICT.
My name is Jo Heissig. I became a Parent Governor in 2008 whilst on a break from a career in Education to raise a family. All 3 of my children attended John Ray Infants and being a Governor has been a great way of getting to know the school and it’s systems better and gain an understanding of how and why decisions are made and how they benefit every child that attends the school.
I am fortunate now to work at John Ray Infants in the Foundation Stage and have been able to remain on the Governing Body as a Co-opted Staff Governor.
In my spare time I enjoy Baking and Reading.
Hi, I’m Sheena Mill and I am married with 4 children, 2 boys at home and 2 girls both training to be teachers. I live in Black Notley and love to walk my dog Mopsey in the beautiful fields and lanes that surround us. For 20 years I have been welcomed into Primary Schools across Braintree, representing a local charity, Christian Youth Outreach, taking assemblies, lunchclubs, lessons and supporting the schools in numerous ways. John Ray Infants School has always been such a positive and happy school to be in and as my local school, I feel privileged to be able to share in their enthusiasm and encourage both staff and children through my role as a governor.